This trick is simple but will impress your friends to make them think your a hacker or to prank them. And it’s quite a cool trick anyway!
Notice: This is not actually hacking!
Before we begin, make sure your using one of the following browsers on a desktop computer, you can’t do this on a Tablet or Phone:
Screenshots from this tutorial will be from Google Chrome, since it’s the most polular but the browsers listed all have an almost identical interface.
Step 1: Launching the developer tools
First of all, Click Here. This will contain every element needed for this article aswell as instrucions in the console.
Now right click anywhere on the page and select inspect. What just popped up is the Browser DevTools. We’ll be using this alot soon.
Note: Some webpages, such as games, don’t allow you to right click. If so, use
Step 2: Selecting an element.
In the DevTools window, look for a little arrow symbol in the top left. It looks like this.
- Click on it and hover the mouse over the page.
- Hover the mouse over the ‘This is some text to edit’ text
- And click. It should flash in the devtools window.
Step 3: Editing Text
- Right click on the highlighted code and select
Edit as HTML.
- The part which appears white is what we want to change. Change it to anything you want.
- Click on another element to exit out and you’ll see the content has chnaged to what you typed.
Step 4: Changing links
Changing links involes changing attributes, so I’ll show you how to now.
- Repeat step 2 for the link.
- Locate the code where it says
href="right-click/then/edit-attribute"and right click on it.
- Change the part in quotation marks…
https://www.eelslap.comor any other website, just make sure it has
https://on the front.
Step 5: Changing images
This is similar to the last step but we have to change the
src=""(source) this time.
- Repeat step 4 but find the bit the image and the code which says
src="/assets/images/imagetoedit.png"and change it to an image url.
The best way to do this is to go to google, click on an image to expand it and click
Copy Image Address. Then paste it by doing
- Exit and the image has now changed!
That’s all in this article. If you want to get better at this or even create your own websites then Learn HTML
Here are some examples:
Example 1: slither.io score
fn+F12to launch the DevTools after completing a game.
- Use the cursor icon to select the score text.
- Change it something massive!
Example 2: Rickroll!
- Navigate to a youtube search for your friend’s favourite youtuber.
- Open the DevTools.
- Use the cursor to select all the video links.
- Change all the
- When they get back, they’ll get the biggest rickroll ever!
Example 3: Wrong Facts.
- Search Google for a fact of key importance.
- Open the DevTools.
- Change the facts.
There are endless pranks and jokes you can do with this. Aslong as you don’t use it to break the law (if you figure out a way!)